Memorial Weekend was once a time that focused on those who have given their lives in service of our country. And while there are still many families who visit the graves of both veterans and loved ones, the Memorial celebrations of today also include big party days at the lake and mattress sales and other promotional gimmicks. If you are looking for a way to help your family refocus on the original intend of the Memorial Weekend holiday you might consider finding a way to make donations for veterans.
Making donations that pick up at home are a convenient way to make sure that you are doing your part when it comes to helping those who have served our country. In a time when it is easy to get distracted from the real intent of Memorial Day, clothes donations to groups that help veterans is a great way to refocus.
Both clothing and household donations can make a world of difference to veterans and their families who are struggling to make ends meet. By working with organizations that provide services for donations that pick up at home you can make a contribution any time there is a scheduled pick up time. One single bag or an entire tub of clothing and household items that you no longer use can make all of the difference.
Consider some of these facts and figures about the charitable donations that people make and the impact that this entire industry has on the nation’s economy:
- $358.38 billion is the total giving to charitable organizations in the year 2014.
- Nearly 4.7 billion pounds of clothing are donated by Americans each year.
- Unfortunately, Americans only recycle or donate 15% of their used clothing.
- Although 42.7% of those surveyed gave more during the holidays than the rest of the year, another 44.4% reported giving “about the same year amount” year round.
- Many givers make sure that they only support groups granted tax-exempt status under section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Any charitable donation worth more than $250, including donations of household items and clothing will require a receipt to write off on taxes.
Whether it is Memorial Weekend or the end of summer, any time is a good time to make sure that you take the time to make sure that you are doing your part to thank those who have contributed so much to our country.