The latest solar eclipse that could be seen across the entire continental U.S. turned an entire new generation into skywatchers. And while former aerospace experts have always trained their eyes to watch the skies, Solar Eclipse 2017 had even more people paying attention to what was happening in the heavens. Especially when it came to the delivery of the very specific glasses that were needed for that special day. Although the viewing glasses themselves were not that expensive to make, the frenzy of having those glasses delivered was an important factor in the pricing. Because the need for those glasses was so time sensitive, many consumers ended up paying a pretty price for the logistics of getting those glasses delivered.
From aerospace logistics to expedited shipping services, the delivery fees for those much sought after glasses was often higher than the price of the glasses themselves. And as the country begins the quick pace of the weeks between Halloween and Christmas, many consumers know that they need to make sure that they place their online orders as early as possible so that they are able to avoid expedited international shipping services and fees. Whether you are a grandmother looking for the latest pair of athletic shoes that your grandson wants or you are a parent looking for this year’s hottest toy, shipping cost is often a factor in the items that you are budgeting for.
Consider some of these facts and figures about the expedited freight services and aerospace logistics that factor into the price of everything from trade show shipments to Christmas toy deliveries:
- Fast delivery is something that many manufacturers and consumers are willing to pay.
- Approximately 5.9 million commercial motor vehicle drivers operate in the U.S., many of which are used for delivery services, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- Shipping fees that involve aerospace logistics
- The three most valuable commodities moved by the U.S. freight transportation system include electronics, machinery, and motorized vehicles.
- Delivery fees are often waived if a consumer spends enough money. Reaching that free delivery goal, however, often results in consumers purchasing more than they intended.
- Estimates indicate that the less than load (LTL) market is approximately $35 billion
- Little pieces and small deliveries can be more expensive to order because LTL shipping involves the transportation of relatively small freight.
- Instead of paying high LTL costs, some companies instead use alternatives like parcel carriers or full truckload carriers.
- Very heavy and very large deliveries often come with an extra delivery fee.
- Expedited freight companies specialize in delivering items of any size and weight in a short amount of time.
- Research indicates that 12 million trucks, rail cars, locomotives, and vessels move goods over the transportation network.
- Yearly spending in the U.S. transportation and logistics industry totaled $1.48 trillion in 2015. This represented 8% of the annual gross domestic products.
Both manufacturers and consumers alike have to figure in the cost of shipping for the items that they want. Making sure that you order things sooner rather than later can help you get the item that you want at a more affordable price. Have you started your Christmas shopping yet, or will you be one of the people who will be paying the high fees of expedited delivery charges?